How Much Does It Cost To Insulate A Home?
Home Insulation Costs
It does not matter if your home is in a warm or cold climate; it will always need insulation. It is done to help maintain as even and comfortable a temperature indoors as is possible. Insulation can prevent summertime heat from coming inside, but also traps your warmed air indoor throughout the winter. It is applied in a diversity of areas around the home and comes in a wide range of materials and styles.
Any insulating material has various pros and cons, and any home must use an adequate supply to ensure energy efficiency in addition to comfort. After all, a well-insulated home can reduce cooling and heating expenses by up to 80% each year.
Home insulation installation: 1,800 sq.ft. home, mid-range materials, and labor.
|Item||Unit Cost||Total Cost|
|R15-R18 insulation||$0.73-$0.95 per square foot||$1,314-$1,710|
|Labor||$0.75-$1.00 per square foot||$1,350-$1,800|
|Total Cost||$1.48-$1.95 per square foot||$2,664-$3,510|
Other insulations materials:
|Spray foam insulation||$0.50-$2.00/board foot|
Other considerations and costs
- Getting insulation installed typically means having an energy audit to find out where you might be losing heated or cooled air, and it is best if the entire process is left to experts.
- Your energy audit may reveal that you require home air sealing, which is just a way of using different barriers to trap or halt air flor that may be causing heated or cooled air to leak outside or indoors. There are many different techniques required, and typically sealing will cost anywhere from $300 to $600 depending on the work needed.
- R-values and U-factors are ratings and you may find that your area has specific requirements when insulating or re-insulating a home.
- Always get a few estimates from different contractors and pay attention to what they suggest and charge. Waiting until the late fall or earlier winter season may get you a discount.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
We do not recommend this as a DIY project. There are too many variables that the average homeowner does not know about, and it is best to work with experts who can give guaranteed results and performance.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$4,948
- Bronx, NY$4,066
- Brooklyn, NY$3,389
- Philadelphia, PA$4,227
- Washington, DC$3,668
- Atlanta, GA$3,319
- Miami, FL$3,018
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$3,162
- Minneapolis, MN$3,709
- Chicago, IL$4,322
- Houston, TX$4,458
- San Antonio, TX$2,992
- Austin, TX$3,388
- Denver, CO$2,863
- Phoenix, AZ$3,020
- Las Vegas, NV$3,315
- Los Angeles, CA$3,735
- San Diego, CA$3,389
- San Jose, CA$4,094
- Seattle, WA$2,997
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: