How Much Does It Cost To Install A Crawl Space Insulation?
Crawl Space Insulation Costs
It does not matter if you live in a warm or cold climate; insulation is a necessity. It is installed from top to bottom in a home (attic to basement) to help maintain an even and comfortable temperature. It is insulation that keeps things warm and toasty in winter and cool and dry in summer. It is applied in a diversity of ways, though, and a single home might have a number of different insulating materials.
It is also added to most crawl spaces. This ensures that no transfer of air can occur, causing hotter conditions in summer and colder in the winter months. Though many will think of encapsulating crawl spaces, insulating them is just as relevant to ensuring dryness and environmental controls.
The cost of crawlspace insulation will vary based on geographic location, the material selected and the overall size of the space. For most areas, though, the R25 batt insulation is preferred for crawl spaces.
Crawlspace insulation: 2,400 sq.ft. crawl space that needs 1,600 sq.ft. of insulation.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Total Cost|
|R25 insulation||$0.45-$0.65 per sq.ft.||1,600||$720-$1,040|
|Labor Cost||$40 per hour||10||$400|
|Total Cost||$0.70-$0.90 per sq.ft.||1,600||$1,120-$1,440|
Other considerations and costs
- R-values and U-factors are ratings and you may find that your area has specific requirements when insulating or re-insulating a garage. R-25 fiberglass batt is the easiest to install though some prefer spray foam because of the limited amount of space in which to work. Foam board and blown-in insulations are also possible.
- Always get a few estimates from different contractors and pay attention to what they suggest and charge. Waiting until the late fall or earlier winter season may get you a discount.
- Unfortunately, crawl spaces are notorious for developing mold or trapping moisture. This can lead to the need for mold remediation, as well as a prolonged process of removing old insulation and paying for it to be properly hauled away and disposed of.
- We do not recommend this as a DIY project. There are too many variables that the average homeowner does not know about, and it is best to work with experts who can give guaranteed results and performance.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$2,056
- Bronx, NY$1,690
- Brooklyn, NY$1,408
- Philadelphia, PA$1,757
- Washington, DC$1,524
- Atlanta, GA$1,379
- Miami, FL$1,254
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$1,314
- Minneapolis, MN$1,541
- Chicago, IL$1,796
- Houston, TX$1,852
- San Antonio, TX$1,244
- Austin, TX$1,408
- Denver, CO$1,190
- Phoenix, AZ$1,255
- Las Vegas, NV$1,378
- Los Angeles, CA$1,552
- San Diego, CA$1,409
- San Jose, CA$1,701
- Seattle, WA$1,246
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: