How Much Does It Cost To Install Room Insulation?
Room Insulation Costs
Room insulation will help resist the transfer of heat (and sound) and is necessary to help maintain interior room temperatures during both the heating season and the cooling season. The benefits of insulation are comfort improvement, energy savings, and increased house value.
How much does it cost to install room insulation?
You will find the cost to install room insulation will vary with amount, type, the construction status of the building (finished or not), and labor rate.
In the following tables the Labor Cost figure is what the able DIY person should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Install insulation: finished 100 sq.ft. room; provide and install R-13 blown-in cellulous insulation in walls and attic section; and R-13 fiberglass in sub-floor crawlspace section.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Insulation: blown-in cellulous R-13, 3.5" thick x 320 sq.ft. of walls plus 100 sq.ft. of attic section; prepare and clean up; including waste and miscellaneous material.||$0.32||per sq.ft.||462||$150|
|Floor insulation: install Kraft faced R-13, 23" wide x 3.5" thick x 100 sq.ft. in crawlspace; prepare and clean up; including waste and miscellaneous material.||$0.37||per sq.ft.||110||$41|
|Drywall and paint: to plug and finish the 1" holes in drywall for blow-in; two holes per 15" length of wall.||$1.12||per hole||75||$84|
|Equipment rental: to blow-in insulation material.||$55||per day||1||$55|
|Equipment purchase: disposable nozzles required for blow-in operation.||$51||per job||1||$51|
|Equipment and Material Cost||$3.81||per sq.ft.||100||$381|
|+ Labor Cost (sheetrock + paint)||$36||per hour||6||$216|
|+ Labor Cost (insulation)||$32||per hour||8||$256|
|Total Cost||$8.53||per sq.ft.||100||$853|
Additional considerations and costs
- R-13 insulation is suitable in moderate climates.
- R-19 insulation is suitable to harsher climates, but is not overkill in milder ones.
- There may be local subsidy or grant for the upgrade of energy efficiency.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- This project may be suitable to an able and prepared DIY person with typical contractor’s tools. The installer may have to work safely atop ladders or scaffolding.
- Partial DYI is possible, leaving sheetrock and painting to a professional.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$959
- Bronx, NY$788
- Brooklyn, NY$657
- Philadelphia, PA$819
- Washington, DC$711
- Atlanta, GA$643
- Miami, FL$585
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$613
- Minneapolis, MN$719
- Chicago, IL$838
- Houston, TX$864
- San Antonio, TX$580
- Austin, TX$657
- Denver, CO$555
- Phoenix, AZ$585
- Las Vegas, NV$643
- Los Angeles, CA$724
- San Diego, CA$657
- San Jose, CA$794
- Seattle, WA$581
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: