Installing the piping and plumbing that is going to lead from the city or town’s water main to your home requires proper knowledge and skill, along with the right tools. This is one of the most important parts of a plumbing system, as it ensures that you are capable of bringing water into the home.
The typical cost for the installation of a water main is between $1,500 and $2,000, but many things are going to affect the cost of the water main installation. This can include things such as the distance from the house to the main, and the depths the line needs to be, the location, and whether there are any obstructions in the way. You will find that in most cases, it is going to be best to work with a professional who can take care of the water main installation.
Water main: 6 feet of copper water line.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Copper Pipe and other materials||$20 per square foot, plus the cost of miscellaneous materials||6 feet||$150|
|Tap Replacement (if needed)||$300||1||$300|
|Digging the Hole||$50 per hour||6 hours||$300|
|Installation of the Pipe||$45 per hour||24 hours||$1080|
Other considerations and costs
- Any needed taxes and permit fees are not included in this cost estimate.
- The length of the pipe, along with the materials used for the pipe will change the cost. PVC, for example, is less expensive than copper.
- You are likely going to need to have permits and approval from the city.
- In the case of old plumbing, you might also need to have a tap replacement, which typically adds $300 to the cost.
- In some cases, the plumber may not dig the hole, and you will need to hire another contractor.
- While it is possible to complete a DIY water main installation or replacement on your own, it is not typically recommended.
- If the installation is not correct, it could cause problematic results that could result in damage to the property.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.