How Much Does It Cost To Install Gas Water Heating?
Gas Water Heating Costs
The domestic gas water heater may be either a tank-type or a tankless type.
Typical domestic tank-type water heaters range from 30 to 50 gallons and they require floor space to be installed. Tankless units are rated in gallons per minute (GPM) and range from 2 to 10 GPM. They can be wall mounted and located in reduced spaces.
You will find that gas water heaters are more expensive to buy than electric types even before considering the cost of gas ventilation and gas pipe requirements, but in most regions gas is the less costly heat source. Tankless heaters may cost more, but are considered lower cost to operate with their higher efficiency.
The cost to install average gas water heating depends upon type, heating flow and tank capacity, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Gas water heater replacement: for 4 or 5 person home; includes old material removal and disposal, transport, new material and installation, equipment, and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Water heater: 40 gallon tank, connect to existing vent and pipe with minor modifications.||$385||each||1||$385|
|Upgrade tank capacity: 50 gallon, 5 person home.||$99||each||1||$99|
|Upgrade tankless: additional cost to install tankless 6.4 gallons per minute; installed to existing vent and pipe with minor modifications.||$209||each||1||$209|
|Removal: transport and non-hazardous dump fees.||$45||per CY||1.5||$68|
|Fees and Material Cost||$761||each||1||$761|
|+ Labor Cost (remove and dispose)||$32||per hour||2||$64|
|+ Labor Cost (install)||$42||per hour||4||$168|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade capacity)||$42||per hour||1||$42|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade tankless)||$42||per hour||1||$42|
Other considerations and costs
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Warranty extensions are available at extra cost.
- Higher end models include Wi-Fi based monitoring and control devices.
- Gas heaters require the installation of both an exterior vent and a gas-pipe supply.
- Some gas heaters can be installed outdoors, saving the cost of a vent to the exterior.
- The cost to operate the heater follows the cost of gas in the region.
- All types require strict compliance with all pertinent local codes and regulations.
- Often times when a water heater requires replacement it turns out that the installation will need to be upgraded to latest codes and regulations regarding ventilation or earthquake preparation.
- During contractor inspection the homeowner should be informed of any repair concerns like rot, and any cost to adapt the existing structure.
- In the very best of cases this installation may be suitable for the able DIY persons, but home insurance or local codes may require a licensed or certified installer.
- In all cases there can arise issues best left to professionals to resolve on the spot.
- A fairly complete plumbing tool set will be required, perhaps including a torch.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$1,327
- Bronx, NY$1,090
- Brooklyn, NY$909
- Philadelphia, PA$1,134
- Washington, DC$984
- Atlanta, GA$890
- Miami, FL$809
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$848
- Minneapolis, MN$995
- Chicago, IL$1,159
- Houston, TX$1,195
- San Antonio, TX$802
- Austin, TX$909
- Denver, CO$768
- Phoenix, AZ$810
- Las Vegas, NV$889
- Los Angeles, CA$1,002
- San Diego, CA$909
- San Jose, CA$1,098
- Seattle, WA$804
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: