Tree stump removal is made necessary after tree removal due to safety concerns or to enhance the appearance and accessibility of your property.
How much does it cost to remove a tree stump?
You will find the cost to remove an average tree stump will vary with stump size and type, its nearness to buildings, the accessibility of its location, and labor rate.
In the following tables the Labor Cost figure is what the able DIY person should expect to save by performing the complete task.
Remove tree stump: large size in a residential lot, no power-line or building issues.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Hand tools: standard kit; shears, axe, shovels, rakes, and safety systems.||$65||per day||0.5||$33|
|Stump grinder: 9 HP wheel mounted; requires included gasoline and proper vehicle for transport to and around site.||$124||per day||0.5||$62|
|Equipment Cost||$189||per day||0.5||$95|
|+ Labor Cost||$38||per hour||4||$152|
|Total Cost||$247||per stump||1||$247|
Additional considerations and costs
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Electric utility companies often perform tree trimming around their overhead lines at no cost to the homeowner, check with them if this is your case.
- This activity is not recommended for DIY as it is intrinsically dangerous working with aggressive motorized equipment.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY and arborist Web sites.