How Much Does It Cost To Remove A Tree?
Tree Removal Costs
Trees are necessary and they can look beautiful when they are well-kept and well-placed. However, there are also plenty of situations when a tree may need to be removed. Dead trees, trees that have fallen or caused damage to your home, and trees that are growing roots into foundations or structures all need to be removed as soon as possible to prevent further damage. The cost of tree removal can vary for a number of reasons.
The size of the tree is usually the largest factor in how much removing it will cost. After all, removing a small tree is much less work than cutting down and disposing of a 100-year-old maple tree. Aside from cutting down the tree, you will also have to factor in log splitting or wood chipping, stump boring or removal, and other potential costs.
|Small tree removal||$100-$450|
|Medium tree removal||$500-$1,000|
|Large tree removal||$600-$1,400|
Other considerations and costs
- Trimming, not removal, might be all that is required. This service is a little cheaper than a full removal and it could save a tree that might really not need completely removed yet.
- Extra-large trees can cause a lot of problems, but they can be taken care of. They will typically be closer to the high end of tree removal services.
- Fallen trees and branches on your property are dangerous. If the damage happens after a storm, you may pay a premium emergency fee or other related charges. Make sure that you know what you are paying for.
- People who live in remote areas or small towns will typically spend more on this service because there is usually a drive time fee associated with these services based on how far they have to travel. If you are being charged this fee, make sure that you are aware of it and that it’s not exorbitant.
- Tree removal isn’t something that you can totally do on your own. While you might be able to handle the cleanup process or getting rid of the smaller branches and limbs, a full removal requires an experienced team with the right tools for the job.
- Some localities and cities have regulations on tree removal and how many trees can be removed from a residential yard. Some areas around the country even have protected types of trees that you cannot remove. Make sure that you know the regulations, if any, regarding tree removal in your local area.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$1,205
- Bronx, NY$990
- Brooklyn, NY$825
- Philadelphia, PA$1,029
- Washington, DC$893
- Atlanta, GA$808
- Miami, FL$735
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$770
- Minneapolis, MN$903
- Chicago, IL$1,052
- Houston, TX$1,085
- San Antonio, TX$729
- Austin, TX$825
- Denver, CO$697
- Phoenix, AZ$735
- Las Vegas, NV$807
- Los Angeles, CA$910
- San Diego, CA$825
- San Jose, CA$997
- Seattle, WA$730
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: