How Much Does It Cost To Install Stone Slab Countertops?
Install Stone Slab Countertops Costs
When you remodel a kitchen or bath, one of the most costly and important choices will be the decision to install stone slab countertops. Granite is the typical choice and comes in at a surprising range of prices. As a remarkably durable and beautiful stone, it promises many years of good service and good looks.
Naturally, it can feel quite cost-prohibitive to some, and so it pays to find out average prices for the installation of stone slab countertops and just why they vary so widely in price.
The variations in pricing are due to the different types of stone available, the thickness of the slab or the tiles chosen, the design of the countertop, the edging selected, and the finish. Whether or not the countertop is to have a sink will also change the cost of the unit, as well as the appearance of a backsplash.
Stone slab countertop installation: 30 sq.ft.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Stone slab countertops||$40-$60 per sq.ft.||30||$1,200-$1,800|
|Labor Cost (installation)||$10 per sq.ft.||30||$300|
|Labor Cost (removal of old countertop)||$10-$40 per sq.ft.||30||$300-$1,200|
|Total Cost||$60-$110 per sq.ft.||30||$1,800-$3,300|
Other considerations and costs
- The edges chosen for the countertop will have an impact on the final price, and this is particularly true if the edge is a “double” that has had an extra piece of stone added to give it thickness. Pricing on edges can range from $0 to upwards of $80 or more per linear foot, even if applied with a machine rather than a hand chisel.
- While prefabricated stone slab countertops exist, they are far different in quality and cost and may have upcharges due to the need to cut out the sink or other elements prior to installation.
Even with assistance from others, it is not advisable to install a stone slab countertop as a DIY project. Measuring must be precise and installation is done in several stages, including booking a plumber to connect the sink and check that the installation is correctly aligned.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$4,096
- Bronx, NY$3,366
- Brooklyn, NY$2,805
- Philadelphia, PA$3,500
- Washington, DC$3,037
- Atlanta, GA$2,748
- Miami, FL$2,499
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$2,618
- Minneapolis, MN$3,071
- Chicago, IL$3,578
- Houston, TX$3,690
- San Antonio, TX$2,477
- Austin, TX$2,805
- Denver, CO$2,370
- Phoenix, AZ$2,500
- Las Vegas, NV$2,744
- Los Angeles, CA$3,092
- San Diego, CA$2,806
- San Jose, CA$3,390
- Seattle, WA$2,482
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: