Many people are considering adding a steam shower to their homes. These types of showers work similarly to a traditional shower, but they have a tight seal, which allows for more steam in the shower. This can create an effect that is similar to a sauna. One of the benefits is that being in a steam shower for as long as twenty minutes will only use about two gallons of water. This can help to save on water and electricity costs in the home.
The system works simply. The controls in your shower can be used to gill the steam generator with cold water, which then heads up, creating the steam. The steam is then piped into the sealed shower, providing the user with a steam shower. It is a safe system, as the temperatures will be comfortable and never dangerously hot.
You will be able to choose from prefabricated steam showers, or you might opt for a custom steam shower depending on your needs and budget.
Installing a steam shower: prefabricated steam shower.
Other considerations and costs
- Seating might be a nice addition to the steam shower, so you can sit and enjoy a longer time in the steam. This will naturally add to the cost, and it might require a larger shower overall.
- The controls are typically found in the shower stall, but there are options for a remote control with some units.
- Mood lighting is not necessary, but it can be a nice added touch for those who want to spend extra money. The same is true of a sound system.
- Different types of materials can affect the cost, as well. Ceramic and porcelain are common and cost-effective, but it is also possible to choose other materials, such as slate and granite.
- A flushing system for the generator is another consideration. This will add to the cost, but it will help to reduce the amount of calcium that builds up in the generator.
- If you do not have a flushing system, you will need to manually clean out the generator regularly. Many find the added cost of the flushing system to be well worth it.
Because of the intricacy of the work that needs to be done with the steam shower, such as creating a sealed environment and adding a generator to the home specifically for creating the steam, it is not advised to do this project on your own.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.