Septic tank cleaning is a necessary service for anyone who has a septic system instead of standard city water and sewer hookups in their home. Regular cleaning helps reduce maintenance and repair costs and provides a longer-lasting system and considering that the average septic tank can cost thousands to replace, regular cleanings are worth the investment.
Cleaning costs will vary depending on the size of the tank, the type of pump or truck used, whether filters are cleaned or changed, and whether the drain lines need to be cleaned during the pumping process. The length of time that has passed since the last cleaning, as well as how often the septic system is used, will also be factors in determining how much you will pay.
Septic tank cleaning: standard pumping rates, filter cleaning and replacement, labor costs, and other expenses.
|Pumping, 750-gallon tank||$250|
|Pumping, 1,000-gallon tank||$375|
|Pumping, 1,250-gallon tank||$475|
|Filter replacement or repair (optional)||$200-$300|
|Other parts and repairs (optional)||$50-$500|
Other considerations and costs
- Septic tanks should not go more than three years between pumping, maximum. This will depend on the size f the tank and the number of people using the system. Make sure that you have regular pumping done in addition to cleaning, as needed.
- Some systems may not need a filter replacement or other repairs, so you will only need to pay for the pumping and cleaning service. This is usually priced by the size of the tank, as shown in the table above.
- Replacing a septic tank can cost up to 4 times as much as regular cleaning, and much of the damage and wear can be prevented with routine maintenance. To keep your septic system functioning longer and save yourself the expense, have cleanings done on a schedule recommended by a septic system professional based on your tank size and usage.
- Always hire a reputable professional for septic tank pumping. This is hazardous waste and requires a skilled professional and safe disposal methods.
- Bear in mind that these are estimates gathered from various sources, and your actual costs may vary based on location and specific job requirements.
- You can help reduce the costs of septic tank cleaning and repairs by maintaining your system with routine care. Follow safe-flushing rules for septic systems and make sure that you aren’t going too long between pumping.
- Cleaning a septic tank is never a DIY job, due to the hazardous waste and pump truck required.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY and arborist Web sites.