How Much Does It Cost To Install Video Surveillance?
Video Surveillance Costs
Video surveillance typically provides you with video camera images of your property, and with Web access to recordings or real-time activity.
You will find that the cost to install average video surveillance depends upon the number and quality of cameras, quality of central monitoring and processing, preparation and special requirements, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Install Video surveillance: with 4 cameras, central recording, and Web interface; include costs for miscellaneous material, equipment, and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|False cameras: inoperable camera bodies as a deterrence measure.||$14.30||each||4||$57|
|Upgrade operational: additional cost of 4 operational cameras with wireless video to central, each camera includes a 20' power cord to be plugged into an existing outlet (interior or exterior).||$526||each||1||$526|
|Upgrade professional grade: additional cost of 4 high quality cameras and 1 central, with power and signal cable to central.||$627||each||1||$627|
|+ Labor Cost (false)||$32||per hour||2||$64|
|+ Labor Cost (operational upgrade)||$32||per hour||4||$128|
|+ Labor Cost (professional upgrade)||$32||per hour||1||$32|
Other considerations and costs
- Labor cost will rise with a “hidden” cable installation in a finished environment.
- Surface cabling in an open attic space can be easy and low cost.
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- This project is somewhat suitable for DIY with skills and tools.
- Camera installation is likely at heights via ladder or roof access.
- Electrical circuits and installations must comply with codes to reduce fire risk.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$1,245
- Bronx, NY$1,023
- Brooklyn, NY$853
- Philadelphia, PA$1,064
- Washington, DC$923
- Atlanta, GA$835
- Miami, FL$760
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$796
- Minneapolis, MN$933
- Chicago, IL$1,087
- Houston, TX$1,122
- San Antonio, TX$753
- Austin, TX$853
- Denver, CO$720
- Phoenix, AZ$760
- Las Vegas, NV$834
- Los Angeles, CA$940
- San Diego, CA$853
- San Jose, CA$1,030
- Seattle, WA$754
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: