How Much Does It Cost To Remove Solar Panels To Replace The Roof?
Remove Solar Panels to Replace Roof Costs
As more homeowners are investing in solar panels, the way that roofing is done is changing over time. When you install solar panels on your roof, you will need to have them removed in order to replace the roof material, decking, and other components whenever that time comes.
The process of removing solar panels involves unhooking the solar power generation system, uninstalling the hardware that holds the panels in place, and then taking down and securely storing the panels until it is time to put them back up again. The size and type of solar panels that you have in place will affect the cost and labor involved in the project. Solar panel removal services should be used to complete the project, as the average roofer is not familiar with the intricate inner workings of the modern solar panel system.
Removal of solar panels to replace the roof: 15 panels.
|Item||Cost per Panel||Total Cost|
|Uninstall and disconnect panels||$27-$40||$405-$600|
|Uninstall mounting hardware||$40||$600|
|Reinstall: mounting hardware, panels, and system reconnection||$27-$50||$405-$750|
Other considerations and costs
- If any of the panels or hardware are damaged upon removal, they will need to be replaced when you are reinstalling the system. This could incur additional costs.
- You can choose to upgrade your solar energy system at the time of removal for roof repairs or replacement, depending on how well yours works and how old it is. A new system will cost 5-10 times more than taking down and putting your old system back up.
- This estimate does not include the cost to remove, replace, and/or repair any roofing, decking, underlayment, or other materials. This is only for the removal and reinstallation of the solar panels as a part of the entire project.
- Always hire a professional solar installer or call the company that installed your panels in the first place. You may pay more for their service, but you can trust that the job will be done right.
- Solar panel systems are not for the average DIY project. These are intricate, delicate systems that involve a lot of soldered wires, glass panels, and other electrical connections to consider. This work is detailed and it can also be dangerous, so the best choice is always to hire a professional.
- Some homeowners may see solar repair kits online and assume this might be something they can handle. These kits are for pools, RVs, and other small systems, and are not designed for rooftop solar energy units.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$2,699
- Bronx, NY$2,218
- Brooklyn, NY$1,848
- Philadelphia, PA$2,306
- Washington, DC$2,001
- Atlanta, GA$1,810
- Miami, FL$1,646
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$1,725
- Minneapolis, MN$2,023
- Chicago, IL$2,357
- Houston, TX$2,431
- San Antonio, TX$1,632
- Austin, TX$1,848
- Denver, CO$1,561
- Phoenix, AZ$1,647
- Las Vegas, NV$1,808
- Los Angeles, CA$2,037
- San Diego, CA$1,849
- San Jose, CA$2,233
- Seattle, WA$1,635
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: