How Much Does It Cost To Install Solar Photovoltaic Boat Power?
Solar Photovoltaic Boat Power Costs
Photovoltaic (PV) electric power is available off grid wherever the sun shines. The amount of PV power that can be harvested depends on the amount of available sunshine which varies by latitude, cloud cover, season of the year, and of course the time of day.
The boat that has a generator, battery, and electrical installation can be upgraded with a PV installation, resulting in less generator runtime and more peace and quiet.
You will find that the cost of an average boat installation to backup an existing generator/battery installation varies by type of PV technology and its power rating, accessories, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able DIY person should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Boat backup power: provide and install the complete system to existing boat battery and electrical installation using fixed-tilt PV panels, charge regulator, mounting structure, protections, and cabling. Include electrical design drawing and all related materials, supplies, transport, equipment, finish-trim, final adjustments, and clean-up.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Basic: 200 watts of deck-mounted PV.||$1,450||each||1||$1,450|
|Upgrade Moderate: additional to Basic, 300 watts total PV.||$371||each||1||$371|
|Upgrade Deluxe: additional to Moderate, 400 watts total PV.||$473||each||1||$473|
|+ Labor Cost (Basic)||$42||per hour||5||$210|
|+ Labor Cost (Moderate)||$42||per hour||1||$42|
|+ Labor Cost (Deluxe)||$42||per hour||1||$42|
Other considerations and costs
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- The Labor Cost figure does not include displacements, overnight stays, or any special engineering intervention.
- During the initial inspection the contractor should inform the owner of any and all necessary modification or upgrade on electrical circuits or boat structure.
- An electrical design drawing should be provided.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- Packaged kits are available from distributors that are DIY friendly.
- Deck penetrations must be weather-tight.
- Electrical circuits require attention to power ratings and the prevention of fire-risk.
- Batteries should be installed in well ventilated areas, and protected against extreme climate conditions.
- Wholesale Solar: http://www.wholesalesolar.com/
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$3,330
- Bronx, NY$2,736
- Brooklyn, NY$2,281
- Philadelphia, PA$2,845
- Washington, DC$2,469
- Atlanta, GA$2,234
- Miami, FL$2,032
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$2,128
- Minneapolis, MN$2,496
- Chicago, IL$2,909
- Houston, TX$3,000
- San Antonio, TX$2,014
- Austin, TX$2,280
- Denver, CO$1,927
- Phoenix, AZ$2,033
- Las Vegas, NV$2,231
- Los Angeles, CA$2,514
- San Diego, CA$2,281
- San Jose, CA$2,755
- Seattle, WA$2,017
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: