The range hood in the kitchen helps to capture and vent odors when you are cooking in the kitchen. It can also help to pull heat out of the kitchen when you are cooking. Whether you are going to be replacing an old hood or you are buying a new one during a renovation, you have to consider the cost of installing the range hood.
Many different factors will affect the overall cost of the range hood installation. These include the type of hood that you choose, as well as your location. Different parts of the country can have very different costs when it comes to labor. You will find several different types of range hoods available. The most common are those that are ducted. They will move the air from the kitchen through the ducts to vent it outside. The ductless models utilize a charcoal filter to help track odors and grease.
Range hood installation: ducted.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Range hood||$350 per unit||1||$350|
|Job supplies||$20 per job||1||$20|
|Removal of old hood||$25 per unit||1||$25|
|Labor Cost||$300 per job||1||$300|
|Total Cost||$695 per unit||1||$695|
Other considerations and costs
- Costs of the labor can vary based on the difficulty of the installation.
- If you need to add in new venting, this will add to the cost.
- Those who want to have a custom cabinet insert will find that it will add to the cost, as well. It can add several hundred dollars at a minimum.
- You should make sure that you choose a range hood with a CFM (cubic feet of air per minute) rating that is high enough to move the air out of the kitchen.
- The material from which the range hood is made will change the cost, as well.
- The range hood that is chosen should be at least six inches wider than the cooktop itself.
- If you are going to attempt to install the range hood on your own, you are going to need to have all of the right tools and materials before you get started.
- There is a small amount of electrical work that will need to be done on the range hood when you install it. Only do this if you are comfortable working with electricity and you understand how to do so safely.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.