How Much Does It Cost To Build A Pool Deck?
Pool Deck Costs
Installing a pool deck has a number of costs involved. Primarily, you have to determine what type of material you’ll want to use for the deck because this is going to be the bulk of your materials costs. The size and shape of your deck will impact your budget, as well. For the sake of this cost estimate, we’ll compare the costs of building a wooden pool deck based on pricing per square foot.
Pool deck installation also includes professional labor costs, as well as other job materials and supplies, any equipment rentals necessary, and other expenses. Permits may also be required for building an exterior deck on your property, which will incur their own cost based on where you live. If you are replacing a pool deck, the cost of removing the old deck will factor into your budget, as well.
Build pool deck: 600-900 sq.ft. pool deck.
|Decking material: wood or composite are most popular||$1,500-$3,500|
|Installation hardware and other materials||$100-$500|
Other considerations and costs
- You can often save time and money on replacing your pool deck when you do it at the same time as you repair or change a major feature of your pool because then work is already being done.
- This estimate does not include taxes or permit fees. Check with your local municipality regarding permits and costs.
- Make sure that you leave access in the deck if your pool has a liner that may eventually need to be changed or repaired.
- Pavers, concrete, and stone can also be used for pool decking, but they will incur a much higher materials cost. Choose textured finishes if you go this route so that you don’t create a slipping hazard around the pool.
- If any land excavation is required around the pool prior to a deck being built and installed, your project costs could easily double for land removal and grading services.
- Composite or wood is the best option for an above-ground pool, simply due to their lightweight finish and ease of building with. They may require slightly more maintenance, but they provide an affordable option that offers the best results.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- If you are an experienced carpenter and choose wood or composite decking, you may be able to do a lot of the work yourself. However, building a pool deck is not for the average household handyman. This is a structure that needs to be sound, so it needs to be built to exact specifications.
- If you want to cut down on your project costs, do any demolition and excavation work that you can on your own. That way, you’re only paying for the labor that you can’t do.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY and arborist Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$13,333
- Bronx, NY$10,956
- Brooklyn, NY$9,131
- Philadelphia, PA$11,392
- Washington, DC$9,885
- Atlanta, GA$8,943
- Miami, FL$8,134
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$8,520
- Minneapolis, MN$9,996
- Chicago, IL$11,646
- Houston, TX$12,012
- San Antonio, TX$8,063
- Austin, TX$9,130
- Denver, CO$7,714
- Phoenix, AZ$8,139
- Las Vegas, NV$8,933
- Los Angeles, CA$10,065
- San Diego, CA$9,134
- San Jose, CA$11,033
- Seattle, WA$8,077
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: