Swimming Pool Costs
A swimming pool can add value, comfort, and enjoyment to your home. If done badly, any pool can detract from property value and personal safety.
The cost to install an average pool depends upon type, material and finish grade, finished surface area and material volume, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
Type and cost summary
In the following table the Cost figure is based on average pools of typical size 12’ wide x 24’ long, creating 288 square feet of water surface or 612 square feet of finished pool surfaces; and includes 20 mile transport range, material, equipment, and waste.
|Above-ground steel||Rapid install||Visible structure||$3,481|
|Easily removed||Cheap feel|
|In-ground vinyl liner||Some customization||Excavate/build||$18,517|
|Lower maintenance||Costly removal|
|In-ground concrete||High customization||Excavate/build||$30,833|
|Highly durable||Costly repair|
In-ground pools typically require excavation and removal work followed by onsite construction activity. Above-ground pools avoid that expense and construction disruption.
Other considerations and costs
- Typical upgrades and accessories are reviewed in the related Cost Guide.
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Typical additional residential site clearing and preparation tasks range in cost from $0.50 to $1.50 per sq.ft. depending on amount and size of material, and transport.
- These pool examples do not include engineering attention to customization.
- The above-ground pool is DIY friendly, vendors often provide DIY packages.
- In-ground pools leave little DIY opportunity, other than upgrade accessories.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to install a swimming pool in my city
Cost to install a swimming pool varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices range from $3,073 (12' x 24' above-ground pool - DIY) to $30,833 (12' x 24' in-ground Gunite concrete pool) and also vary depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: