Above ground pools typically require no excavation and removal work, and installation is rapid and easily removed if necessary.
The cost to install an average above ground pool depends upon material and finish grade, finished surface area and material volume, preparation and special needs, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Above-ground pool: prepare for and install a 12' x 24' above ground pool; include 20 mile transport range, material, equipment, and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Steel frame kit: depth 54" flat; 612 sq.ft. liner surface, 288 sq.ft. footprint; with ladder, pump, filter, piping, and 120V switch.||$4.69||per sq.ft.||655||$3,073|
|Upgrade deckwork: additional cost to install a 4' wide redwood-deck perimeter walkway, a 20' x 12' patio deck, and stairs.||$7.72||per sq.ft.||614||$4,745|
|Upgrade fence: additional cost to install vinyl picket security fence; 5' tall x walkway + patio perimeter; deck-integrated; self-closing gate.||$17.28||per foot||143||$2,468|
|+ Labor Cost (install pool)||$34||per hour||12||$408|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade deck)||$36||per hour||88||$3,168|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade fence)||$34||per hour||14||$476|
Other considerations and costs
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Typical additional residential site clearing and preparation tasks range in cost from $0.50 to $1.50 per sq.ft. depending on amount and size of material, and transport.
- These pool examples do not include engineering attention to customization.
- Above ground pools are highly suitable for DIY, home improvement vendors often provide a DIY kit.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.