How Much Does It Cost To Install Plumbing?
Plumbers perform a variety of services related to pipes, plumbing fixtures, and even gas lines in your home. These professionals have hourly rates, as well as project rates, depending on the type of work that you need to be done. Plumbing costs can vary significantly from one project to the next.
General plumbing repair and service is rather affordable and is usually charged by service or job for something like pipe cleaning. For installing and repairing pipes, plumbers may charge by the hour or the square footage of the job. There are a number of other variables that factor to plumbing installation. In this cost guide, we will cover the most common plumbing installation jobs and their related costs.
Plumbing installation: by fixture, including materials, and labor cost.
|Tub/Shower combo installation||$1,000-$5,500|
|Water heater installation||$1,100|
|Gas appliance installation: range, dryer, or furnace.||$1,800-$4,800|
|Water main piping and connection: replacement||$600-$2,300|
|New water main connection and pipe installation: new construction||$1,500-$2,700|
Plumbing installation: 2,000 sq.ft. home, including all labor and materials.
|Pipe Material||Cost per Square Foot||Quantity||Total Cost|
|Copper pipe upgrade/repipe||$2-$5||2,000||$4,000-$10,000|
|PEX: flexible plastic piping||$1-$2||2,000||$2,000-$4,000|
|CPVC: hard plastic||$0.50-$1.00||2,000||$1,000-$2,000|
Other considerations and costs
- If your home has lead pipes, you will require a special removal process (abatement). This incurs an additional fee and may also require you to leave the home during removal.
- Cast iron, galvanized steel, and polybutylene piping are also no longer used in homes due to various issues with breakage and deterioration. If these pipes are found in your home, a full replacement will be recommended. This could turn a simple repair into a big expense.
- Plumbers may also charge by the hour for their labor. This may be in addition to materials costs, or it may be included in their total cost. Be sure to ask for a breakdown of exactly what you are paying for.
- You can often get a discount on faucets and other fixture installations when they are part of a whole-house construction job that includes brand new plumbing lines and fixtures throughout.
- Simple plumbing repairs or replacements may be something that the average handy person can handle. Unclogging drains and toilets, for example, is usually not a major task. However, you should follow the recommended DIY procedures and only use approved tools and products for the best results.
- Whole-house plumbing is not a DIY project. It requires intimate knowledge of plumbing systems and home construction, fixture connections and installation, and many more details.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$2,410
- Bronx, NY$1,980
- Brooklyn, NY$1,650
- Philadelphia, PA$2,059
- Washington, DC$1,786
- Atlanta, GA$1,616
- Miami, FL$1,470
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$1,540
- Minneapolis, MN$1,806
- Chicago, IL$2,105
- Houston, TX$2,171
- San Antonio, TX$1,457
- Austin, TX$1,650
- Denver, CO$1,394
- Phoenix, AZ$1,471
- Las Vegas, NV$1,614
- Los Angeles, CA$1,819
- San Diego, CA$1,651
- San Jose, CA$1,994
- Seattle, WA$1,460
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: