Garage doors are more relevant to the home than many people realize. They are one of the most significant parts of the home, and they are one of the first things that many people see when they are driving by your property or visiting your home. Therefore, you want to be sure that you have a quality door that looks great and that will be able to provide you with a warm, safe, and comfortable environment.
When you are choosing a garage door, there are quite a few things you will need to consider. One of the most important is making sure that you are getting the right size door. There tend to be standard options, so measure your current door and get one that matches the size.
You also have to think about the aesthetics of the garage door and the materials that you will be choosing, such as steel, aluminum, or wood. All have their benefits and their drawbacks. Make sure that the door selected is weather-sealed properly, so you aren’t losing warm or cold air through the garage. Naturally, you also want to have a door that can provide you with safety and which also looks great.
|Item||Door Cost||Labor Cost|
|8’ garage door and hardware||$550 and up||$408|
|9’ garage door and hardware||$600 and up||$408|
|10’ garage door and hardware||$700 and up||$408|
|12’ garage door and hardware||$800 and up||$408|
|14’ garage door and hardware||$850 and up||$408|
|16’ garage door and hardware||$925 and up||$408|
|18’ garage door and hardware||$1,000 and up||$408|
Other considerations and costs
- Many things can change the cost of the garage door and installation, including the door’s material.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Double-check the size of the door.
- Keep the door adequately maintained, and it can last for many years.
- Garage doors are hefty, and they need to be installed carefully and correctly.
- DIY is not recommended when it comes to overhead garage door installation, but those who do choose to install their overhead garage door will not want to do it on their own.
- Keep a clean work area.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series, 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor websites.
- Literature review of DIY websites.