How Much Does It Cost To Install Grass Lawn Sod?
Cost To Install Grass Lawn Sod
Lawn sod installation is a special activity that will add to property value while increasing curb appeal. Sod is purchased from a sod farm in rolls, delivered by truck, laid out on the prepared terrain, and further nurtured while the roots take hold.
You will find that the cost to install lawn sod depends upon the size and accessibility of the lot, the variability of the terrain, type of sod, local equipment rental rates, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the complete installation.
Lawn sodding: for a 6,000 sq. ft. lawn in the Midwest USA
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Lawn sodding: bluegrass sod delivered up to 90 miles to the site and laid out by hand; final tamp and water; including waste.||$0.66||per sq. ft.||6,300||$4,168|
|Preparation and conditioner: final site-grading preparation by hand; provide fertilizing conditioner and the equipment to spread conditioner and roll sod flat.||$154||per job||1||$154|
|Equipment and Material Cost||$0.72||per sq. ft.||6,000||$4,322|
|+ Labor Cost||$30||per hour||43||$1,290|
|Total Cost||$0.94||per sq. ft.||6,000||$5,612|
Other considerations and costs
- If necessary, land-clearing and site-preparation typical to a residential scale project including manual and mechanical removal of shrubs, trees, stumps, and boulders will typically range in cost from $0.50 to $1.50 per sq. foot depending upon the amount and size of the material, and the off-site distance of material transport.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Included is the typical cost to rent the necessary power equipment.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- This project may be suitable for the able DIY persons.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$9,013
- Bronx, NY$7,407
- Brooklyn, NY$6,173
- Philadelphia, PA$7,701
- Washington, DC$6,683
- Atlanta, GA$6,046
- Miami, FL$5,499
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$5,760
- Minneapolis, MN$6,757
- Chicago, IL$7,873
- Houston, TX$8,120
- San Antonio, TX$5,451
- Austin, TX$6,172
- Denver, CO$5,215
- Phoenix, AZ$5,502
- Las Vegas, NV$6,039
- Los Angeles, CA$6,804
- San Diego, CA$6,175
- San Jose, CA$7,458
- Seattle, WA$5,460
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: