How Much Does It Cost To Install A Laminate Countertop?
Laminate Countertop Costs
Laminate countertops are a preferred choice for many homeowners because they offer the look of higher quality materials with the low cost that laminate is known for. Laminate is the least expensive countertop material and there are a number of different styles of laminates to choose from.
Laminate counters will also last for 20-30 years when properly installed and maintained. Compared to materials like granite and slate or marble, which are also popular countertop styles, you can spend as much as 75% and get the same look when you choose laminate countertops.
Laminate countertops installation: 30 linear feet.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Laminate material||$27-$35 per linear foot||30||$810-$1,140|
|Countertop edges||$5-$7 per linear foot||30||$150-$210|
|Corner treatments||$50-$60 each||3||$150-$180|
|Material Cost||$37-$51 per linear foot||30||$1,110-$1,530|
|Labor Cost (removal/disposal)||$500-$800 flat-rate||1||$500-$800|
|Labor Cost (installation)||$30-$40 per hour||8||$240-$320|
|Total Cost||$61.66-$88.33 per linear foot||30|
Other considerations and costs
- If you are installing a new backsplash or sink with your new countertops, this will increase your project costs.
- Taxes and fees are not included in this cost estimate. Make sure that your contractor or installer gives you a detailed estimate of costs for your installation to ensure there are no hidden fees or additional charges.
- Some laminate materials are better than others. They are all relatively durable, which is the biggest selling point of laminate, but some may be more difficult to install or require more care and maintenance.
- The majority of counters are prefabricated, or cut and brought to the site ready to install. If you decide on a style that is cut at the job site, you may pay up to 30% more for the cutting service.
- Old countertop removal and disposal are sometimes discounted or included in an installation project. This varies by company and is more likely with a full kitchen remodel, but it’s worth asking about.
- Experienced handymen and those familiar with countertop installation may be able to complete this project. However, installation generally requires at least two people and a lot of specialty labor, so it may not be best to DIY when it comes to counters.
- It doesn’t get much cheaper than laminate. If you want to cut costs, though, you can buy miscuts or other discounted laminate pieces if you aren’t as particular about the color or design. You can also remove your old counters yourself if you want to save on labor costs.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$3,614
- Bronx, NY$2,970
- Brooklyn, NY$2,475
- Philadelphia, PA$3,088
- Washington, DC$2,680
- Atlanta, GA$2,424
- Miami, FL$2,205
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$2,310
- Minneapolis, MN$2,710
- Chicago, IL$3,157
- Houston, TX$3,256
- San Antonio, TX$2,186
- Austin, TX$2,475
- Denver, CO$2,091
- Phoenix, AZ$2,206
- Las Vegas, NV$2,422
- Los Angeles, CA$2,729
- San Diego, CA$2,476
- San Jose, CA$2,991
- Seattle, WA$2,190
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: