How Much Does It Cost To Tint The Windows?
Home Window Tinting Costs
When you hear someone talk about getting their windows tinted, most imagine they are talking about their car windows. However, home window tinting has started to become more popular as people are discovering the benefits that it can offer. When you have tinted windows, it can help to keep the home cooler during the hot months of the years. It will reduce the amount of natural light that you have coming into the home, but many homeowners will prefer this to having a home they need to keep cool with an air conditioner, which will increase their energy expenditure.
Tinting the windows will also help to reduce the UV rays that are getting into the home. Direct sunlight can also cause discoloration to the carpet and the furnishings. The home window tinting will help to eliminate this problem. Tinted windows also provide more privacy for the home. Another benefit is security in the event the window breaks from storm damage, for example. There are options for security tints, which are often able to hold the glass fragments from spraying all over the floor.
Window tinting: 200 sq.ft. of windows, by type of tinting treatment, labor included in the cost.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line cost|
|Home window tinting||$6 per sq.ft.||200||$1,200|
|Security window tinting||$8 per sq.ft||200||$1,600|
|UV window tinting||$8 per sq.ft.||200||$1,600|
|Insulating window tinting||$8.50 per sq.ft.||200||$1,700|
Other considerations and costs
- The number of windows and the size of the windows will be the main factor in determining the overall cost for home window tinting.
- Windows that are on the second floor will incur added costs.
- Oddly shaped windows will cost more to tint, as well.
- The tint is applied to the inside of the windows to ensure the weather does not cause any damage to the film.
- You can choose from different levels of tint.
- There are DIY kits available that can be used to perform the home window tinting on your own. Always make sure that you read and understand the instructions before you begin.
- When cleaning the tinted windows, do not use any cleaning products that contain ammonia, as this will cause problems with the tint. Use dishwashing soap and water instead.
- If there are any high windows that will require a ladder, be sure to use proper safety precautions to eliminate the risk of a fall.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$2,570
- Bronx, NY$2,112
- Brooklyn, NY$1,760
- Philadelphia, PA$2,196
- Washington, DC$1,906
- Atlanta, GA$1,724
- Miami, FL$1,568
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$1,643
- Minneapolis, MN$1,927
- Chicago, IL$2,245
- Houston, TX$2,316
- San Antonio, TX$1,554
- Austin, TX$1,760
- Denver, CO$1,487
- Phoenix, AZ$1,569
- Las Vegas, NV$1,722
- Los Angeles, CA$1,940
- San Diego, CA$1,761
- San Jose, CA$2,127
- Seattle, WA$1,557
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: