How Much Does It Cost To Set A Home Theater Up?
Home Theater Setup Costs
A home theater setup and installation is going to vary significantly in its costs based on a myriad of factors. The basics include an HDTV, surround sound speaker system, audio and/or video equipment, and video game consoles. The components that you opt to install will affect how much your home theater costs, as will how you choose to have them installed.
Professional home theater installation can include basic setup, complete room construction and wiring, and everything in between. Less than five percent of home theater installations run on the high end of the price range, but the cost depends on the quality of electronics and the level of luxury desired. Whether or not you already own any components will also impact the cost of your home theater setup.
|4KUltra HD TV||$400-$2,000|
|Surround sound audio system with soundbar and/or surround speakers||$100-$2,500|
|Connectors, cabling, and mounting hardware||$100-$250|
|Labor Cost: includes wiring, mounting, and device setup||$300-$1,000|
Other considerations and costs
- Available electronics and entertainment systems vary significantly in price. Consider your budget and narrow down which electronics are most important in your initial setup for the best results.
- Smart technology can be integrated into your home theater system for a premium upgrade cost.
- Many electronics stores offer complimentary or discounted setup and installation of various home theater equipment when purchased through their store.
- Companies like Amazon offer professional mounting services, even if you only purchase the mount, for a discounted rate.
- A full home theater construction and installation can cost upwards of $10,000 or more and can include everything from the largest television available to movie theater-style seating.
- If you want to conceal wires and you are setting up a home theater in an existing home, you may have to pay for drilling, demolition, and replacement or repair of drywall.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- You can save a significant amount on labor costs by setting up your own home theater system. This DIY project takes 2-4 hours, on average, depending on the components involved and the amount of work required.
- If you are not familiar with electronics wiring or audio/video setup, it may be best to leave this job to the professionals.
- Be sure to follow all warranty guidelines to the letter when installing your new home theater components. Some product warranties may be voided if they are not correctly installed.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$5,341
- Bronx, NY$4,389
- Brooklyn, NY$3,658
- Philadelphia, PA$4,564
- Washington, DC$3,960
- Atlanta, GA$3,583
- Miami, FL$3,259
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$3,413
- Minneapolis, MN$4,004
- Chicago, IL$4,665
- Houston, TX$4,812
- San Antonio, TX$3,230
- Austin, TX$3,658
- Denver, CO$3,090
- Phoenix, AZ$3,260
- Las Vegas, NV$3,579
- Los Angeles, CA$4,032
- San Diego, CA$3,659
- San Jose, CA$4,420
- Seattle, WA$3,236
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: