How Much Does It Cost To Install A Home Security System?
Home Security System Costs
Installing a home security system comes with a number of variable cost factors. The size and type of system, as well as whether it includes multiple LED control pads and remotes, will impact how much you pay. Plus, some providers offer systems installed for a discounted price when you sign up for their security monitoring service.
Typically, a home security system installation will be completed by a security technician. However, these systems are also installed by electricians and widely-skilled general contractors in some instances. You will typically spend less on hourly labor for a security installer to do the work. Choosing a system that can be hooked into an outlet is cheaper, with hardwired systems requiring more labor and maintenance.
Home security system installation: standard security package installation and removal.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Door and window sensors||$15-$60 per unit||3||$45-$180|
|Key fob||$25 per unit||1||$25|
|Motion detectors||$40 per unit||1||$40|
|Security camera||$100-$300 per unit||2||$200-$600|
|Material Cost||$310-$890 per system||1||$310-$890|
|Labor Cost||$50-$75 per hour||10-20||$500-$1,500|
|Total Cost||$810-$2,390 per system||1||$810-$2,390|
Other considerations and costs
- This cost estimate does not include taxes or other fees.
- Hardwired systems require extensive installation, which requires the assistance of a professional installer and may cost as much as 50% more than standard plug-in systems.
- In order to determine exactly how many components you need, it’s best to have a security professional do a consultation and estimate in your home prior to choosing a system. This may incur a consultation fee, but many companies offer it as a free service or provide a discount once you hire them for the job.
- Installing your own security system is not recommended unless you have experience with electrical wiring, electronics, and security monitoring devices. You can set up basic motion sensors or door contacts on your own, but a full system install should be left to a professional.
- Consider all of your options, including providing your own purchased security system for the installation technician, which can help reduce the costs.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$2,570
- Bronx, NY$2,112
- Brooklyn, NY$1,760
- Philadelphia, PA$2,196
- Washington, DC$1,906
- Atlanta, GA$1,724
- Miami, FL$1,568
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$1,643
- Minneapolis, MN$1,927
- Chicago, IL$2,245
- Houston, TX$2,316
- San Antonio, TX$1,554
- Austin, TX$1,760
- Denver, CO$1,487
- Phoenix, AZ$1,569
- Las Vegas, NV$1,722
- Los Angeles, CA$1,940
- San Diego, CA$1,761
- San Jose, CA$2,127
- Seattle, WA$1,557
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: