Mold Remediation Costs
Remediation of mold contamination either by cleaning or removal of affected building material is necessary to assure a healthy environment. Mold is not a hazardous material like asbestos, but it is a health risk to persons and should be remediated accordingly.
You will find that the cost to remediate mold in an average home depends upon eliminating the source of moisture, the extent of contamination, the amount of affected material, the difficulty of material cleaning or removal, the construction details of the home, and the labor rate.
In the following tables the Labor Cost figures are what the able DIY person should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Mold remediation by cleaning: a basement room of 100 sq.ft.; clean-away all surface mold by hand using antimicrobial solution and do touch-up of painted drywall surfaces; includes treatment of ceiling, walls, concrete floor, and electrical fixture boxes.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Ceiling and walls: 420 sq.ft.; wash, rinse, and dry all sheetrock surfaces using antimicrobial solution; including waste.||$0.34||per sq.ft.||480||$164|
|Floor and fixtures: 100 sq.ft. concrete floor and 6 fixture boxes; hand wash, rinse, and dry all surfaces using antimicrobial solution; including waste.||$0.34||per sq.ft.||114||$39|
|Paint touch-up: 420 sq.ft.; brush on antimicrobial paint, including waste.||$0.11||per sq.ft.||480||$52|
|Material Cost||$2.55||per sq.ft.||100||$255|
|+ Labor Cost (cleaning)||$32||per hour||10||$320|
|+ Labor Cost (painting)||$32||per hour||3||$96|
|Total Cost||$6.71||per sq.ft.||100||$671|
Mold remediation by removal: a basement room of 100 sq.ft.; remove and dispose of all contaminated sheetrock on ceiling and walls; clean concrete floor and electrical fixture boxes; replace all sheetrock and paint with antimicrobial product.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Remove ceiling and walls: 420 sq.ft.; remove all sheetrock material, seal waste in bags for transport.||$0.25||per sq.ft.||420||$106|
|Replace ceiling and walls: 420 sq.ft.; 1/2" water resistant sheetrock ready for paint; incl. waste.||$1.03||per sq.ft.||480||$494|
|Paint: 420 sq.ft.; latex antimicrobial paint; primer coat and finish coat.||$0.22||per sq.ft.||480||$105|
|Clean floor and fixtures: 100 sq.ft. floor and 6 fixture boxes; hand wash, rinse, and dry all surfaces using antimicrobial solution; including waste.||$0.34||per sq.ft.||114||$39|
|Disposal: 3 cubic yards; transport and dump fees.||$45||per CY||3||$135|
|Fees and Material Cost||$8.79||per sq.ft.||100||$879|
|+ Labor Cost (removal and cleaning)||$32||per hour||6||$192|
|+ Labor Cost (sheetrock)||$32||per hour||16||$512|
|+ Labor Cost (painting)||$32||per hour||8||$256|
|Total Cost||$18.39||per sq.ft.||100||$1,839|
Other considerations and costs
- These costs do not include any special measures regarding hazard containment, ventilation, or disposal. If necessary, those items will increase cost accordingly.
- Most all State Air Quality Agencies provide extensive information on the subject. http://www2.epa.gov/home/health-and-environmental-agencies-us-states-and-territories
- Visual inspection can decide remediation terms, air testing is not usually necessary.
- The moisture problem must be corrected to prevent recurring mold growth.
- Use disinfectant only when addressing mold growth resulting from sewage waters.
- The use of fogging biocides for remediation purposes is not recommended.
- There are no special landfill requirements for the disposal of moldy materials.
- It is not necessary to kill mold to remove mold.
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- The work area must be free of all objects including furniture, rugs, and etcetera.
- This activity requires no professional certification and may be suitable for DIY.
- The task is a dirty one, and the dirt is a health risk! Proper protection is essential.
- Sheetrock installation may not be DIY suitable.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to remediate mold contamination in my city
Cost to remediate mold contamination varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices range from $2.55 per sq.ft. of floor area (100 sq.ft. cleaning solution - DIY) to $18.39 per sq.ft. of floor area (100 sq.ft. remove and replace solution) and also vary depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: