Asbestos Ceiling Removal Costs
Removal of asbestos and other hazardous materials may be necessary to comply with code requirements or to improve a property appraisal quotation.
You will find that the cost to remove an asbestos “popcorn ceiling” of an average home of 1,500 square feet depends upon the difficulty of the material removal, the construction details of the home, and the professional services rate.
In the following table are the typical costs to remove asbestos “popcorn ceiling” hazard.
Asbestos ceiling material removal: regulation compliant removal and disposal.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Set up: move furniture; install confinement and ventilation systems; cover walls and floors.||$2.88||per sq.ft.||1,500||$4,321|
|Removal: spray on remover encapsulant; hand scrape material; prepare waste for transport; dismantle confinement.||$0.57||per sq.ft.||1,500||$858|
|Disposal: landfill charges and transport costs.||$35||per drum||15||$525|
|Equipment, Fees, and Material Cost||$3.80||per sq.ft.||1,500||$5,704|
|+ Labor Cost||$32||per hour||120||$3,840|
|Total Cost||$6.36||per sq.ft.||1,500||$9,544|
Other considerations and costs
- To apply a textured sealing finish on the ceiling will add about $0.29 per sq.ft. to the cost above.
- Most all State Air Quality Agencies provide extensive information on the subject. Look at: http://www2.epa.gov/home/health-and-environmental-agencies-us-states-and-territories
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- The work area must be free of all objects including furniture, rugs, etcetera.
- Re-testing following any repair work will probably be necessary.
- This activity requires professional certification as well as specialized testing equipment, and is not suitable for DIY.
- The task is a complicated and dirty one, and the dirt is toxic! For example, regulations require a full protective-suit be worn and to be changed every two hours.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to remove asbestos ceiling material in my city
Cost to remove asbestos ceiling material varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices range from $3.80 per sq.ft. (1,500 sq.ft. ceiling - DIY) to $6.65 per sq.ft. (1,500 sq.ft. ceiling + re-spray with textured sealant) and also vary depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: