Colored Concrete Costs
Concrete coloring is a common approach to improving the appearance and functionality of concrete surfaces like driveways, parking aprons, and floors.
The cost to apply average colored concrete depends upon surface area, the type of color, special preparation needs, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Colored concrete: 500 sq.ft. surface; excavate, prepare, pour, and color-finish a 2" thick concrete slab with rebar, wire mesh, and aggregate/sand base. Include costs for miscellaneous material, transport, equipment, and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Colored concrete finish: earth tone, light brown.||$2.62||per sq.ft.||525||$1,375|
|Upgrade: additional cost for special tone, like red or green.||$0.42||per sq.ft.||525||$221|
|Material Cost||$3.19||per sq.ft.||500||$1,596|
|+ Labor Cost (base)||$36||per hour||24||$864|
|+ Labor Cost (upgrade)||$36||per hour||2||$72|
|Total Cost||$5.06||per sq.ft.||500||$2,532|
Other considerations and costs
- These prices are for service in the immediate area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- Additional hand-excavation of typical soil will cost around $50 per cubic yard.
- Typical additional residential site clearing and preparation tasks range in cost from $0.50 to $1.50 per sq.ft. depending on amount and size of material, and transport.
- This project is not highly suitable for DIY requiring special tools and skills.
- Beyond construction skills, realize that concrete is unforgiving of delay as it dries.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Cost to install colored concrete in my city
Cost to install colored concrete varies greatly by region. To get free estimates from local contractors, please indicate yours.
Typical cost is about
Prices range from $1,375 (500 sq.ft. colored concrete slab - DIY) to $2,531 (500 sq.ft. colored concrete slab - upgraded) and also vary depending on your zipcode:
Cost by city
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: