Few things are quite as frustrating as doing the dishes or taking a shower only to realize that when you pull the plug the water does not go anywhere, or that it drains painfully slowly. Most people never even think about their plumbing until they have some type of problem with it. If you have a clog that needs to be repaired, you could try to handle it on your own, but more often than not, you will be better served by working with a professional plumber instead.
Many different issues can cause clogged drains. It could be clogged because of hair, a toy that has been flushed or put down the sink, grease, a tree root growing through a pipe, and a host of other scenarios. Because so many things can cause these types of issues, a professional plumber is going to help you find the problem – and fix it – faster and easier.
The typical cost for drain cleaning in the United States tends to be around $200, but this can vary based on location, as well as the problem with the drain. For a drain that clears up quickly, the cost could be much less.
Clogged drain repair: clearing a clog from a drain, without the need for any additional replacement elements.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Hourly Rate of the Plumber||$55 per hour||2 hours||$110|
Other considerations and costs
- Taxes are not added to the typical costs noted above.
- The severity of the clog and the amount of time it takes the plumber to clear the clog can affect the price.
- If there are any parts that will need to be replaced, they can also affect the price of the repair.
- Depending on the location of the clog, the cost could be different for repair, as well.
- Regional location can affect the price, too.
- It is sometimes possible to remove the clog on your own, but it does tend to take longer, and there is more guesswork involved.
- If the clog is mild, you may be able to clear it with a plunger or a drain snake.
- Using drain cleaners found in the store could actually end up causing more problems for the drain and not actually help to remove the clog.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.