How Much Does It Cost To Childproof The Home?
When you have children, you know that they can get into anything and everything that you do not want them to get into. Whether you are a parent with a child that is just about ready to start toddling or you are a grandparent, you want to provide a safe space for the little one to explore without being injured. Childproofing the home is a great way to do just that.
Today, you can find a range of products in the store and online that you can use to provide more protection for the children in your home. Safety gates, bumpers for corners, outlet covers and similar devices are easy to use and can improve your home’s safety for the little ones.
Childproofing: installing multiple types of safety devices that can be added to the home, as well as the cost of consultation and professional installation.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Safety gates||$80 each||3||$240|
|Outlet safety caps||$2 per pack of two||15||$30|
|Anti-scald valves||$100 each||2||$200|
|Latches for cabinets||$5 per pack of 10||4||$20|
|Furniture anchors||$5 each||5||$25|
|Material Cost||$515 per house||1||$515|
|+Labor Cost (consultation)||$125 fee||1||$125|
|+Labor Cost (installation)||$250 fee||1||$250|
|Total Cost||$890 per house||1||$890|
Other considerations and costs
- Different homes will have different requirements when it comes to childproofing. Make a list of the different areas of the home that you will specifically need to childproof.
- Kids can get into anything, so be prepared to add more childproofing devices to the home as the kids get older.
- There are many products available that will make it easy for you to take care of most of the childproofing of your home on your own. However, it is very important that you always read and follow the instructions to ensure everything has been properly installed.
- For pool gates, stair gates, and more complex projects, hiring a professional can ensure it is done correctly and that it is entirely safe.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$1,430
- Bronx, NY$1,175
- Brooklyn, NY$979
- Philadelphia, PA$1,222
- Washington, DC$1,060
- Atlanta, GA$959
- Miami, FL$872
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$914
- Minneapolis, MN$1,072
- Chicago, IL$1,249
- Houston, TX$1,288
- San Antonio, TX$865
- Austin, TX$979
- Denver, CO$827
- Phoenix, AZ$873
- Las Vegas, NV$958
- Los Angeles, CA$1,079
- San Diego, CA$979
- San Jose, CA$1,183
- Seattle, WA$866
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: