How Much Does It Cost To Repair Carpet?
Repair Carpet Costs
Carpet repair can involve a variety of types of damage and repair methods. As such, the cost to repair a carpet will vary quite significantly from one job to the next. The size of the area that needs to be repaired will also affect the cost, as will any carpet that is so damaged that it needs to be replaced.
Carpet patching, stretching, snag, and seam repairs, and other related services all fall under the umbrella of carpet repairs. The cost table below will provide you with information on the national average costs for various carpet repairs and services. Some prices are listed as unit prices since every job has different square footage to consider.
Carpet repair: by method, 200 sq.ft. carpet.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Carpet patching: small repairs may also include a minimum charge.||$25 per sq.ft.||100||$500|
|Carpet stretching||$0.30-$0.50 per sq.ft.||200||$60-$100|
|Seam and snag repairs: may include a one-hour minimum charge.||$60-$80 per hour||1-2||$60-$160|
|Padding repair or replacement||$100-$250 per carpet||1||$100-$250|
|Carpet color restoration||$200-$250 per carpet||1||$200-$250|
|Total Cost||$0.30-$2.50 per sq.ft.||200||$60-$500|
Other considerations and costs
- If there is a lot of furniture or heavy items are sitting on the carpet that needs attention, you may pay an additional charge for moving furniture back and forth.
- Carpet repairs that are more intricate or difficult to access will include a premium charge for additional labor and time.
- You may be able to get a discount on the total job by having multiple repairs fixed at the same time. Talk to your carpet repair technician to find out if they have discounts for this, or even for those who are willing to move their own furniture.
- Water-damaged carpet generally requires a full replacement, as a repair or cleaning cannot guarantee the complete removal of potential mold and mildew particles.
- Small repairs and fixes may be DIY projects for people who are familiar with flooring and moderately handy. This can save a lot of money on labor costs, which usually make up the bulk of the work in carpet repair.
- If your carpet needs to be restretched or there are difficult repairs, you might want to leave them to the professionals so that you don’t cause further damage or ruin the carpet entirely.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$450
- Bronx, NY$370
- Brooklyn, NY$308
- Philadelphia, PA$384
- Washington, DC$333
- Atlanta, GA$302
- Miami, FL$274
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$287
- Minneapolis, MN$337
- Chicago, IL$393
- Houston, TX$405
- San Antonio, TX$272
- Austin, TX$308
- Denver, CO$260
- Phoenix, AZ$275
- Las Vegas, NV$301
- Los Angeles, CA$340
- San Diego, CA$308
- San Jose, CA$372
- Seattle, WA$272
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: