Those who have old tubs that are dingy and that have seen better days might be considering getting a replacement. While a replacement is one solution, it is not always the cheapest or best solution. Instead, it might be time to consider the benefits of refinishing a tub. If you are happy with the shape and the style of the tub, and you would get a similar tub as a replacement, bathtub refinishing could be a perfect choice.
If you are going to keep the same tub, it also means that there will not actually be any installation time, and you will not have to hire a plumber to hook up the pipes. You will still have to keep the bathroom off-limits for about 24hrs during the refinishing process. However, when you consider the costs and hassle of replacing a tub, you can see that bathtub refinishing is a better option in many cases.
Bathtub refinishing: 5-foot iron tub.
|Material and supplies||$60 per foot||5||$300|
|Labor Cost||$70 per foot||5||$350|
|Total Cost||$130 per foot||5||$650|
Other considerations and costs
- Make sure that the tub is still in good enough shape to be used and that refinishing is the best option.
- You should also check to see that the plumbing that is connecting to the tub is in good shape. If it isn’t, you should have it updated by a professional plumber, which will add to the cost.
- The tub will have to cure for 24hrs before it can be used, so make sure that you have other options for bathing or showering during that time.
- If you have a fiberglass tub, it can’t be refinished.
- Bathtub refinishing can be a good option for DIY, but it is important to choose a kit that will have what you need for the job. This can ensure that you have all you need from start to finish.
- Always make sure that you take proper safety precautions, including wearing air filters, goggles, and protective clothing so you do not come into contact with the paint.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.