Costing out a basement waterproofing job is usually done by square footage or as a flat-rate service. Professional waterproofing companies will take care of evaluating the space, waterproofing the walls, repairing any damage, installing french drains and/or sump pumps, and cleaning the gutters and window wells. This should cover all of the aspects of waterproofing unless you need a major foundation dig out or other serious repairs.
Despite whatever issues your basement is having, waterproofing can assist in alleviating any and all moisture issues. In a closed area like a basement, even just regular condensation can cause wood to rot or create mildew and mold. If you have a runoff, groundwater flooding or seepage, there may be bigger issues at play, and you will need to discuss whether you need sump pump installation, drainage repairs or line replacements, or other repairs. This will add to the cost of the waterproofing service, as the basement must be in good repair for waterproofing to be effective.
Basement waterproofing: 1,200 sq. ft. basement.
|Waterproof sealant||Yes||$10-$200 per bucket|
|Waterproof paint||Not required unless you want a more finished look||$20-$200 per can|
|Epoxy injections||Yes, if you have cracks in the foundation||$300-$525 per crack repair|
|Sump pumps||Required in flood zones, recommended in every basement for water backup.||$500-$1,100|
|Floor drain, french drain, or footing drains||Yes, some type of drain is required||$200-$10,000|
|Excavation||Only when there are external leaks or damage that cannot be reached from the inside||$100-$250 per linear foot|
|Window wells and drains||Optional drainage||$500-$2,000|
|Foundation waterproofing||Only required for extra protection||$5,000 to $10,000|
|Water damage repairs||Required for any damage, standing water removal||$200-$5,000|
Other considerations and costs
- If your driveway, patio, fence, or central air unit have to be removed during a waterproofing project, this will incur additional costs. Simple AC unit removal only costs a few hundred dollars while removing an entire driveway will cost as much as $1,500-$2,500.
- Waterproofing done by a professional company generally includes a warranty that will last from 10-25 years and may be transferable. This should be provided with minimal, or no, additional cost.
- Permits and necessary water/sewer inspections required by some municipalities are not included in this cost estimate.
- You may be able to make small improvements on your own or handle things like applying the sealant paint to the floor and walls yourself. However, the actual process of waterproofing and repairing basement and foundation damage should be left to professional contractors.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.