How Much Does It Cost To Install Backsplash?
Backsplash Installation Costs
When you install a new backsplash to your kitchen, it can help to transform the look and make it more aesthetically pleasing. Of course, the backsplash can also serve as a way to help you keep your kitchen cleaner, as it is easier to clean a quality backsplash than it is to clean the walls. It also protects the walls from damage.
Whether you are renovating the entire kitchen, or you are just considering a backsplash, it is important to understand the overall costs associated with the work. There are many different types of materials available for backsplashes, such as ceramic, porcelain, glass, and stainless steel, and each material has its own cost. You will need to consider the material and the size of your backsplash, along with your budget, when you are making your choice.
Backsplash installation: 20 square feet of ceramic tile.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Ceramic tiles||$10-$15 per sq.ft.||20||$200-$300|
|Labor Cost (removal of old backsplash)||$4 per sq.ft.||20||$80|
|Labor Cost (installation)||$20 per sq.ft.||20||$400|
|Total Cost||$34-$39 per sq.ft.||20||$680|
Backsplash installation: by material type, labor not included.
|Ceramic tiles||$10-$15 per sq.ft.|
|Porcelain tile||$15 per sq.ft.|
|Beadboard panel||$7-$20 per sq.ft.|
|Mirror||$8-$15 per sq.ft.|
|Natural stone||$10-$50 per sq.ft.|
|Chalkboard paint||$20 per gallon|
|Glass||$20-$30 per sq.ft.|
|Engineered stone||$20-$50 per sq.ft.|
|Wallpaper||$30-$50 per roll|
|Ceiling tiles||$30-$50 per sq.ft.|
|Metal||$30-$50 per sq.ft.|
Other considerations and costs
- If the backsplash features angles that are hard to reach or a specific pattern, it will add to the cost.
- If you have an electrical outlet at the location of the backsplash, cutting the material to ensure it can go around the outlet will add to the cost.
- The cost of labor can vary based on where you live.
- Unique patterns, such as diagonal or herringbone, will cost more to install.
- DIY is possible, but you will likely need to spend several hundred dollars to get the tools that you need for the job.
- Cutting certain materials, such as porcelain, can be difficult, so there is the risk of damaging the material if you are not careful. Ceramic tends to be easy to cut, though.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Websites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$1,092
- Bronx, NY$898
- Brooklyn, NY$748
- Philadelphia, PA$933
- Washington, DC$810
- Atlanta, GA$733
- Miami, FL$666
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$698
- Minneapolis, MN$819
- Chicago, IL$954
- Houston, TX$984
- San Antonio, TX$661
- Austin, TX$748
- Denver, CO$632
- Phoenix, AZ$667
- Las Vegas, NV$732
- Los Angeles, CA$825
- San Diego, CA$748
- San Jose, CA$904
- Seattle, WA$662
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: