How Much Does It Cost To Do Asbestos Inspection And Testing?
Asbestos Testing Costs
Asbestos was widely used in building materials before the 1970s because of its amazing insulating properties. However, it is also a carcinogen and has been since removed from being used for any type of building or construction. Some homeowners, however, may still have asbestos in their home. Fortunately, it’s fairly easy to test for.
Testing for asbestos involves a full inspection of the home and a variety of tests to determine the exact threat level and determine where the asbestos is located. If you want a copy of the report, that may also cost extra. The testing process is relatively simple, but it requires a lot of information and samples.
Asbestos testing: 1,500 sq.ft. house.
|Initial test and sampling||$250-$750|
|Air quality testing||$300-$1200|
|Full inspection: after asbestos is detected.||$400-$800|
Other considerations and costs
- In most states, homeowners are required to declare the presence of asbestos in a home in order to sell a property. This can affect the sale and how quickly you can get a solid offer. If you are selling, it might be better to consider asbestos abatement first, depending on the cost.
- If the asbestos is discovered in an area where it isn’t being disturbed, the EPA says that it is often more dangerous to stir it up than to just leave it alone. An asbestos professional will tell you the best way to proceed.
- If you need extensive asbestos abatement, you could spend thousands of dollars on the process, depending on how much square footage is affected and how it will be best removed.
- Asbestos testing and remediation should never be done on your own. This is a toxic material that can be inhaled into the airways and cause a lot of damage. It is also the leading known cause of mesothelioma, which is a serious and incurable condition.
- If you suspect that you have asbestos and it is exposed, leave the room or home immediately. If it is built into a wall or not out in the open air, it is usually fine undisturbed. However, once it is exposed, it immediately becomes a serious threat.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$3,534
- Bronx, NY$2,904
- Brooklyn, NY$2,420
- Philadelphia, PA$3,019
- Washington, DC$2,620
- Atlanta, GA$2,371
- Miami, FL$2,156
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$2,258
- Minneapolis, MN$2,649
- Chicago, IL$3,087
- Houston, TX$3,184
- San Antonio, TX$2,137
- Austin, TX$2,420
- Denver, CO$2,045
- Phoenix, AZ$2,157
- Las Vegas, NV$2,368
- Los Angeles, CA$2,668
- San Diego, CA$2,421
- San Jose, CA$2,924
- Seattle, WA$2,141
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: