Installing a refrigerator is a fairly simple process, depending on the amount of work that is already done. Many factors will affect what you pay for this service, including the cost of the refrigerator unit itself, as well as where it is going to be installed and whether the right space is available or if additional work needs to be done to create the space.
Some people may want a refrigerator installed on a second floor or in their outdoor kitchen, which will also change the cost of the job and the work involved, so it’s important to think about where your fridge is going.
Refrigerator Installation: mid-range unit, 24 cubic feet, ice dispenser, and water service.
|Delivery charges (if not free)||$50-$100|
|Installation of the fridge unit||Usually included in delivery|
|Installation of a new outlet||$75-$150|
|Haul-away of the old fridge||Usually included in delivery|
Other considerations and costs
- Many retail stores will offer free delivery and haul-away when you purchase an appliance from them. This can reduce the costs of your investment significantly. Some stores will include “installing” the fridge, or putting it in place and plugging it in, as part of the delivery service. Others will only deliver to your door. Make sure that you know what you are getting, and especially if you’re charged for delivery, they should bring it in and set it up for you.
- If you need to retrofit a refrigerator into an existing space, you may incur additional costs for labor and construction materials.
- If you have an open space to install the new refrigerator and all that needs to be done is to plug in the unit, you can often have it connected in less time than it took you to pick out the style you liked at the store.
- If you purchase a smart or other tech-friendly fridge, you may want to defer to the professionals, at least until you learn how to set up all of the features and get the unit running as you would like.
- Never mess with any electrical wiring or power-related elements when the refrigerator is plugged in and the power is on. You should always disconnect the fridge from the outlet before touching any powered parts.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY and arborist Web sites.