How Much Does It Cost To Apply Kitchen Cabinet Refacing?
Custom Cabinet Refacing Costs
Those who want new cabinetry during a kitchen remodel or update but have neither the budget or inclination towards the chaos that will ensue may want to consider custom cabinet refacing instead. It comes in at almost 50% less than replacing and can look just as impressive.
It varies from project to project and may mean stripping and repainting cabinetry, but just as easily it can mean refacing cabinetry with new veneer and installing new hardware. Not all cabinets are good candidates for refacing, and this is due to several factors. They may be unsatisfactory because of their placement in the kitchen, and refacing would make no difference. They may be unevenly seated, outdated or inefficient in design. They may need much more than cosmetic improvements.
Custom cabinet refacing: 30 linear feet.
|Refacing materials: wood veneer, plastic laminate, RTL, or plywood.||$83.33-$333.33 per linear foot||30||$2,500 - $10,000|
|Hardware: pulls, hinges, and organizers in cabinets and drawers.||$50-$400 each||10||$500-$4,000|
|Labor Cost||$40-$90 per hour||3||$120-$270|
|Total Cost||$104-$475.67 per linear foot||30||$3,120-$14,270|
Other considerations and costs
- While cabinets are in the process of being refaced, you can take it to the custom cabinetry refacing level by having a professional add such features as moldings and trims that change the looks of doors and the cabinetry in general. This averages around $100 per linear foot.
- Adding panels and doors that can conceal such things as recycle and garbage bins will always boost the ROI on custom cabinetry refacing but don’t forget to also consider panels for the refrigerator, too.
- Countertop refinishing can be added to this project and an entirely new kitchen may be the end result.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
Here are cabinetry refacing kits that enable you to enjoy similar results, but this is labor-intensive, costly, and inefficient. The quality of the results is far from guaranteed and it is best to simply have experts in refacing or resurfacing help you to obtain the “new” kitchen of your dreams at a fraction of the cost of replacing cabinets.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$13,815
- Bronx, NY$11,352
- Brooklyn, NY$9,461
- Philadelphia, PA$11,803
- Washington, DC$10,242
- Atlanta, GA$9,267
- Miami, FL$8,428
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$8,828
- Minneapolis, MN$10,357
- Chicago, IL$12,067
- Houston, TX$12,446
- San Antonio, TX$8,355
- Austin, TX$9,460
- Denver, CO$7,993
- Phoenix, AZ$8,433
- Las Vegas, NV$9,256
- Los Angeles, CA$10,429
- San Diego, CA$9,464
- San Jose, CA$11,431
- Seattle, WA$8,369
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: