The safety of your home is naturally going to be quite important to you. If you have found that you have some issues with the stairs that are leading to your basement, then you might want to have them repaired or replaced entirely. While the cost of installing a set of basement stairs can vary, you will find that it tends to be between $1,000 and $2,000.
Having a new basement staircase installed in your home is generally not going to take more than two full days or so for the professionals. However, there may be certain circumstances that could make your staircases easier, or more difficult to install.
Basement staircase: a set of stairs and a handrail for the basement.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Labor Cost||$45 per hour||16 hours||$720|
Other considerations and costs
- The costs above do not include any applicable taxes or the removal and disposal of a previous stairway.
- If you are going to want the stairs painted, you will have to account for the cost of the paint, and potentially the labor if you hire a painter to do it for you.
- Kit staircases that use steel rather than wood are often cheaper.
- Different styles of stairs can add to the cost, as well.
- While it might be possible to install basement stairs on your own, you might want to leave this job to the pros. They can ensure that the stairs are sturdy and that they are installed properly.
- Professionals have the right tools and the knowledge to get the job done right, and to do it in less time in most cases.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web site