How Much Does It Cost To Hire A Junk Removal Service?
Junk Removal Service Costs
Junk removal services are ideal for large-scale cleaning and decluttering projects, renovations, landscaping work, moving cleanouts, and other events that produce an excessive amount of waste. This is typically used as a one-time service for hauling away debris or items that cannot be disposed of in the daily trash or when there is simply too much to sit on the curb on trash day.
Junk removal services may be calculated by load volume or container size. Some companies offer individual item rates for large appliances and furniture. Premiums may be charged for appliances that contain freon, which requires special disposal. Below, you can compare costs based on load size and the average cost per item.
Junk removal: by load size, measured in cubic feet.
|Minimum: up to 60 cubic feet.||$85|
|60-80 cubic feet: ⅙ load.||$110|
|80-120 cubic feet: ¼ load.||$125|
|120-180 cubic feet: ⅜ load.||$175|
|180-240 cubic feet: ½ load.||$250|
|240-300 cubic feet: ⅝ load.||$290|
|300-360 cubic feet: ¾ load.||$340|
|360-420 cubic feet: ⅞ load.||$390|
|420-480 cubic feet: full load.||$425|
Junk removal: per item.
|Mattresses: Queen or King||$80-$100|
|Washer and dryer: pair||$80-$195|
|Spa or hot tub||$100-$150|
|Tires: with rims||$10 per tire|
Other considerations and costs
- Some companies will not include landfill fees in their initial estimates. Local landfill fees vary, but typically average between $20 and $50 per ton.
- In the event that you need a permit for a dumpster or placing junk on a public street, that can cost between $40 and $75.
- Certain hazardous materials require proper disposal methods. Junk removal services will fine customers up to $500 for any prohibited materials. You can dispose of these items properly by contacting your city or local department that handles waste management.
- A junk removal service’s standard “load” is approximately 4 pickup trucks worth of junk, to help you determine whether DIY disposal might be cheaper, depending on how much junk you have.
- If you choose to dispose of your own junk, you’ll only have to pay the landfill fees as long as you have transportation to the landfill in the first place.
- A cheaper option for smaller loads (3,300 lbs. or less) is a Bagster or similar one-time disposal option that you can purchase at your local home improvement store. The bags cost about $30 and will cost an average of $100 to have hauled away once you have filled them.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$402
- Bronx, NY$330
- Brooklyn, NY$275
- Philadelphia, PA$343
- Washington, DC$298
- Atlanta, GA$269
- Miami, FL$245
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$257
- Minneapolis, MN$301
- Chicago, IL$351
- Houston, TX$362
- San Antonio, TX$243
- Austin, TX$275
- Denver, CO$232
- Phoenix, AZ$245
- Las Vegas, NV$269
- Los Angeles, CA$303
- San Diego, CA$275
- San Jose, CA$332
- Seattle, WA$243
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: