Flooring material is that which covers the floor structure and creates the floor surface. Rubber safety flooring is a common choice for greater safety.
You will find that the cost to install average rubber safety flooring depends upon material and finish grade, surface area, preparation and special requirements, and the labor rate.
In the following table the Labor Cost figure is what the able and prepared DIY persons should expect to save by performing the corresponding tasks.
Replace flooring: of a 500 sq.ft. room with no partitions and 120 linear feet of baseboard; remove and dispose existing flooring; include miscellaneous material and waste.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|New flooring: install 500 sq.ft. of rubber safety tiles each 18" x 18" x 1/8" thick, circular pattern; and 120 feet of matching baseboard.||$11.50||per sq.ft.||525||$6,036|
|Upgrade: additional cost to install rubber tiles 24" x 24" x 3-3/4" thick, rated for 11 foot drop safety.||$9.14||per sq.ft.||525||$4,796|
|Removal: remove 2,500 sq.ft. of carpet and underlayment, prepare for transport; strip to wood floor.||$0.01||per sq.ft.||500||$5|
|Disposal: transport and non-hazardous dump fees.||$45||per CY||2||$90|
|Fees and Material Cost||$21.85||per sq.ft.||500||$10,927|
|+ Labor Cost (remove and dispose)||$32||per hour||6||$192|
|+ Labor Cost (flooring)||$36||per hour||16||$576|
|Total Cost||$23.39||per sq.ft.||500||$11,695|
Other considerations and costs
- Preparation is limited to an undamaged floor in good condition to be replaced.
- These prices are for service in the immediate service area of the provider.
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- This project is suitable for DIY with common set of tools and skills.
- Partial DIY is also possible by taking on the task of remove and dispose, leaving the installation to a professional.
- The work area must be free of all furniture and other objects.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.