How Much Does It Cost To Build A Greenhouse?
Build a Greenhouse Costs
Many people dream of being self-sufficient and growing lots of food, while others love the idea of being able to grow flowers and herbs year-round. Both groups would benefit from a greenhouse, and though there are small kits that enable three-season growing, to make the most of the concept, it is essential to build an authentic greenhouse structure.
The price for building a greenhouse is like other structures and varies from area to area, especially between colder and warmer climates. The size of the greenhouse, the features included and whether an existing structure needs to be removed all figure into the costs.
Additionally, dealing with the land prep (grading and excavating, running water and electric, and so on) has to figure into the cost. And so, too, does the concrete slab, drainage and other elements that a new greenhouse will sit on. Then it comes down to the materials and design of the greenhouse to settle the budget.
Building a greenhouse: 10’x10’ structure.
|Materials: walls, framing, HVAC system, lighting, water system, etc.||$65 per sq.ft.||100||$6,500|
|Concrete||$75 per cubic yard||26||$1,950|
|Material Cost||$84.50 per sq.ft.||100||$8,450|
|Labor (site prep)||$30 per sq.ft.||100||$3,000|
|Labor (building)||$35 per sq.ft.||100||$3,500|
|Total Cost||$149.50 per sq.ft.||100||$14,950|
Other considerations and costs
- There are many of those extras that we mentioned earlier, including heating, which can be done in a multitude of ways. Radiant heat flooring is hugely expensive and costs in the thousands of dollars to do (as well as requiring extensive prep work in the foundation stage). There are space heaters specifically designed for greenhouses, and these are an ideal option, costing around $250 per unit plus the price of running fuel or electrical service.
- Automatic watering and feeding systems are a nice addition at $25 per square foot.
- Lighting is a must in any greenhouse. Even if it receives adequate sunlight, the shortness of cooler weather seasons means grow lights can ensure plant health, and these can boost the total project costs by upwards of $1,500 or more.
- Doors also add to the cost by roughly $300 each.
- The costs of permits are not included in the prices listed.
- The kind of professional-level greenhouse we have been considering here is never going to be a DIY project and must be left in the hands of experts.
- The costs for a greenhouse will always vary widely and whether it is a small, novice style or a large, expert greenhouse, it is sure to inspire plenty of enjoyable time surrounded by happy, healthy plants.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$24,015
- Bronx, NY$19,734
- Brooklyn, NY$16,447
- Philadelphia, PA$20,519
- Washington, DC$17,805
- Atlanta, GA$16,109
- Miami, FL$14,651
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$15,347
- Minneapolis, MN$18,004
- Chicago, IL$20,977
- Houston, TX$21,636
- San Antonio, TX$14,524
- Austin, TX$16,445
- Denver, CO$13,895
- Phoenix, AZ$14,660
- Las Vegas, NV$16,090
- Los Angeles, CA$18,130
- San Diego, CA$16,452
- San Jose, CA$19,872
- Seattle, WA$14,548
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: