33 Fun Facts About Money
The financial history of the US is full of strange and interesting facts that most people have never heard. Some of these historical quirks and have spilled over into the present day and continue to affect the way Americans interact with money, whether they know it or not.
The cards below shows 33 fun facts about money in the U.S. Did you know . . .?
1. Also the least practical bill ever…
2. Broken bill? Not to worry...
3. The silver center cent
4. Who’s hoarding all the coins?
5. The first and only…
6. No – it’s not Monopoly money
7. Good old George, gracing our cash since 1869
8. Talk about dirty money
9. The most prolific bill
10. In God we trust…
11. They bring good luck
12. Talk about a green thumb!
13. Where have you been, George?
14. A Native American celebrity, too
15. Silly Miss Liberty
16. Rogue minting
17. Trust me, I counted
18. I spy with my little eye…
19. Don’t look at me… I’m a credit card guy
20. A baker’s dozen
21. Will cartwheel for cash
22. The mile high club
23. Crawl, don’t walk, to your nearest bank
24. Common in the 1860s
25. Not 100% cotton…
26. That’s a lot of cash!
27. Pay your rent with a mile of pennies
28. Life is short — Especially if your are a $10 bill
29. Just don’t take any wooden nickels
30. Most things that appear to be perfect are inauthentic
31. This is one way to balance your books
32. Not a single African American
33. A beautiful sight …
We hope that this list of 33 fun facts about money has proved that there’s an interesting story behind each and every bank note in circulation. Perhaps the next time you spend your cash, you will take a moment to reflect on the history of the bill in your hand – where it came from (you can actually check out wheresgeorge.com to find out), the materials that comprise it, or even the Intaglio, which gives the note its distinctive texture.
If you wish you can see the full infographic here.
Get the best of HowMuch delivered to your inbox weekly. You are going to love it!
Sources: Table 1