Flooring material is designed to provide a comfortable, beautiful finish for the home while withstanding traffic and offering a finish that fits in with the decor. Tile flooring installation is popular for those who want a high-end floor or simply need something that is easier to keep clean than carpet. Tile is most commonly found in kitchens and baths but is increasing in popularity as a whole-home flooring option.
The cost of tile flooring installation depends on the type of material used, the size of the area that needs to be covered, any special grading or installation details, and local labor rates. Costs may also be impacted by the difficulty of installation or availability of materials.
Tile flooring installation: based on material type, 500 sq.ft.
|Item||Unit Cost||Labor Cost||Total Cost|
|Vinyl tile||$2.50-$4.00 per sq.ft.||$10.00 per sq.ft.||$6,250-$7,000|
|Ceramic tile||$0.50-$7.00 per sq.ft.||$14.00 per sq.ft.||$7,250-$10,500|
|Porcelain tile||$3.00-$10.00 per sq.ft.||$14.00 per sq.ft.||$8,500-$12,000|
|Slate tile||$5.00-$15.00 per sq.ft.||$20.00 per sq.ft.||$12,500-$17,500|
|Wood-look porcelain tile||$3.00-$12.00 per sq.ft.||$14.00 per sq.ft.||$8,500-$13,000|
Other considerations and costs
- If you need to remove old flooring or repair any of the subflooring, you will pay an additional charge for demolition and prep (including subfloor repairs/replacement).
- Tile cannot usually be installed on top of existing flooring, so expect to pay removal costs if you aren’t installing tile in a new building.
- Some tile professionals may charge by the hour instead of by the square foot. Others may also charge by the room or job. Be sure to inquire about the labor rate when getting estimates.
- Installing tile over concrete will incur an additional expense for resurfacing and prepping the floor for proper installation.
- Tile molding, edges, and other trim pieces are either priced per square foot or per item. The additional pieces and trim that you need will depend on your floor configuration.
- Tile flooring is not typically a job for DIY projects. However, those who are more experienced or who have laid flooring before may be able to complete the job.
- At the very least, you can provide your own materials to save costs.
- To save money on labor costs, you can remove the old flooring and prepare the subfloor for the new tile ahead of having the installer arrived. This will allow them to skip a few steps and potentially save hours of work.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.