A home inspection may be called for by home-owners, banks, insurance companies, or potential buyers of the home. It is separate from and different than an appraisal inspection.
You will find that the cost to hire a home inspection depends upon the scope of the evaluation and the professional service offer of a certified provider in their primary and secondary zones of operation.
The table below includes a range of possible services to be provided.
Home inspection: the certified inspection service provider will deliver a comprehensive report on the visual inspection of 11 building elements.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Visual inspection: to observe and report on structural, roofing, exterior components, electrical, heating, cooling, insulation, ventilation, plumbing, interior components, and maintenance advice elements within 15 miles of base.||$293||fee||1||$293|
|Zone extension: from 15 to 30 miles from base.||$45||fee||1||$45|
|Duplex inspection: in the case that both home owner parties order the service.||$45||fee||1||$45|
Other considerations and costs
- Taxes and permit fees are not included.
- If required by a third party such as a bank, be sure that the provider certification is compliant with third party requirements.
- The same provider may offer other home inspection services such as termites, mold, and etcetera.
- This activity is not suitable for DIY due to certification requirements.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2015.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.